Sunday, August 3

We saw Patrice Leconte's L'Homme du train (2002; The Man on the Train); not bad, with its ironic contrasts. I also appreciated the fact that not only did the character of the "planner" regret not having had a wilder life, which is what movies seem to prefer stressing these days, but also that the wild boy regretted not having had a more structured life. I've got a feeling that whoever thought of the story (Claude Klotz?) started by seeing the parallels between two "operations"--a bank robbery and surgery. Some time ago we also saw Leconte's Monsieur Hire (1989), which I liked, and more recently La Veuve de Saint-Pierre, (2000; The Widow of Saint-Pierre), which I absolutely detested. It's a movie about the death penalty that is imposed on a man who murdered someone while drunk, but turns out to nevertheless be a good fellow. The movie comes off as a screed against the death penalty. Although I am myself opposed to the death penalty, I found this idiotic.

At home, we saw A Taste of Honey (1961), another one from our library's huge collection of gay-related movies. Still, it was quite touching.

No comments: