Sunday, December 28

In an article on NYC's smoking ban, WINNIE HU says,
Polls back the city's contention that New Yorkers have welcomed the ban. A New York Times poll in June showed that 56 percent of the 962 respondents said they approved of the smoking ban. A Quinnipiac University poll in October found that 62 percent supported the ban.
Look, I don't particularly like people to smoke near me while I'm eating. But a bare majority doesn't really mean that "New Yorkers have welcomed the ban."

On the other hand, recently here in Paris, I made sure to sit in the no-smoking section, but the restaurant was so small, I still suffered from somebody's smoke. They left, and someone with a large group in the no-smoking section lit up. We moved to the smoking section, where no one was smoking (amazingly, given the proclivities of the French, almost all of whom seem to smoke).

No comments: