Sunday, March 7

We saw A Raisin in the Sun (1961). It was watchable, but I felt the poor family was in some ways foolish. Sidney Poitier's Walter Lee Younger in particular was a loser. His sister's aspirations were admirable, but she was an awfully silly romantic (OK, I liked her atheism, though). Still his mother had quite a bit on the ball, but a little too eager to relieve her grandson of his burden to study, and far too trusting of her foolish son with her money. The long-suffering wife had a good deal of my sympathy, but what I had trouble was their absolute rejection of the payment their future neighbors offered. I mean, how much was it? I know, all for dignity. Speaking of dignity, Louis Gossett Jr. showed a good deal of that in a minor role.

The next day, we saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), which I believe I once saw. Funny to see such a young George Segal. Anyway, it's another overly long filmed play, with an awfully lot of screaming, but I still liked it a little more than "Raisin", probably because I'm more familiar with the milieu of drunk academics. Still, it's not one I need to see ever again.

No comments: