Sunday, February 16

My most successful baguettes yet. (See here and here for previous efforts). I used a chef again, this time unfrozen; the first fermentation took just overnight, so I refrigerated it before the second fermentation, which only took about 6 hours, after which I refrigerated it again. Then today, I took it out of the fridge about 7 and added the final dose of yeast and flour. I left it a little sticky, and after dividing it into 2 let it rise on a flat surface covered with bowls, in the hope that that would make for less popping of the bubbles. I sprayed it with water before putting it in the oven, and three times more while it was baking, and while the texture was still a little too fine, and the crust not quite as crisp as it might have been, it looked good. Maybe next time I'll try baking it a little longer.

Update