Saturday, February 28

Bush Ejects Two From Bioethics Council: Changes Renew Criticism That the President Puts Politics Ahead of Science By Rick Weiss:
President Bush yesterday dismissed two members of his handpicked Council on Bioethics -- a scientist and a moral philosopher who had been among the more outspoken advocates for research on human embryo cells.

In their places he appointed three new members, including a doctor who has called for more religion in public life, a political scientist who has spoken out precisely against the research that the dismissed members supported, and another who has written about the immorality of abortion and the "threats of biotechnology."..

The three new appointees are Benjamin Carson, the high-profile director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University; Diana Schaub, chairman of the department of political science at Loyola College in Maryland; and Peter Lawler, a professor of government at Berry College in Georgia. All are respected members of their fields. And their writings suggest their tenures will be less contentious than their predecessors'.

When not performing some of the most difficult surgeries in the world, Carson is a motivational speaker who often invokes religion and the Bible and has lamented that "we live in a nation where we can't talk about God in public."
Jesus fucking Christ. These guys talk about God all the fucking time. Bush's anti-gay stuff annoyed me, but I was going to grit my teeth and go along with it. He's about to lose my vote.

Update
Phew, that sure made me mad; I wouldn't have thought something like that could get to me. I'm still pretty annoyed. I should remember that next time I see someone else frothing at the mouth about something that's really irrelevant.

No comments: