Monday, May 16

Extremely Partisan

The Pew Political Typology survey categorized me as a member of "the Enterpriser typology group". Yes, I favor business, but not the social values that the researchers associate with them. For example, I "Strongly agree" with the following:
  • It's acceptable to refuse to fight in a war you believe is morally wrong.
  • Religion is not that important to me.
  • Homosexuality is a way of life that should be accepted by society.
  • Public school libraries should be allowed to carry any books they want.
  • It IS NOT necessary to believe in God in order to be moral and have good values.
Besides, the researchers describe the Enterpriser group as an "extremely partisan Republican group’s politics...driven by a belief in the free enterprise system and social values that reflect a conservative agenda." And yet, they describe Liberals as "the most opposed to an assertive foreign policy, the most secular, and take the most liberal views on social issues such as homosexuality, abortion, and censorship. They differ from other Democratic groups in that they are strongly pro-environment and pro-immigration." That sounds a little partisan to me. Meanwhile, Patrick Ruffini claims that "The Upbeats are moderate, pro-choice, and pro-war; in this site's poll last month, they flocked here from blogs like the Volokh Conspiracy and InstaPundit. They frequent blogs like OxBlog, Joe Gandelman, Roger L. Simon, and Daniel Drezner." I would've thought that I was an "Upbeat", too, not to mention the fact that those are some of my favorite blogs. Plus at the end of the survey, they ask, "In general, would you describe your political views as very conservative, conservative, moderate, liberal or very liberal?" I never know how to answer that question, because I'm a so-called conservative on a lot of economic policies, but a so-called liberal on questions of personal freedom. Hey, I'm not alone.

No comments: