Tuesday, June 21

Taiwan Coffee

In contrast to the US, the Taiwanese for the most part don't drink their cappuccino in the morning, at least not while I'm buying mine (around 7-8 am). While it's true that the Taiwanese generally get up and out much later than they used to, and later than most Americans seem to, there's not a lot of coffee available at the the ordinary breakfast places. Fortunately for me, the estimable Crown coffee 金鑛咖啡麵包 is open 24 hrs., and there's a branch near where we live, so I get my iced cappuccino a couple of times a week but not more often even though it's NT$50, about US $1.70.

I note that two of the branches have recently expanded and are now selling various breads in addition to the tiny patisseries (I can't say pastries because they're much too delicate for that). But like virtually all bakeries here, they don't bake their stuff early in the morning but in the middle of the day. Not that it makes much difference. Taiwan breads are getting less and less interesting to me.

No comments: