Sunday, July 17

Dummies?

Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster By MATT RICHTEL and JOHN MARKOFF
Many PC owners are simply replacing embattled machines rather than fixing them...

In the face of a constant stream of pop-up ads, malfunctioning programs and performance slowed to a crawl or a crash - the hallmarks of spyware and adware - throwing out a computer "is a rational response," said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Internet and American Life Project, a Washington-based research group that studies the Internet's social impact.
I'm dubious; I keep my anti-virus software up-to-date and am firewalled and use Firefox and I've never had a serious problem. I can't believe a Ph.D. in computer science, a physician, a stockbroker, and a bank manager can't install the proper software--and backup their files.

No comments: