Sunday, August 27

What it's called

I found out last week I've got sebaceous hyperplasia, known in China as 皮脂腺腺瘤 pí zhī xiàn xiàn liú and in Taiwan as 皮脂腺增生 pí zhī xiàn zēng shēng. The dermatologist seemed to think it was a big deal, and wanted me to use Retin-A for the rest of my life, but since it's not life-threatening, not to mention the fact that I never noticed and at this point I don't care about my looks that much, I'm not unduly troubled. If it gets really scary-looking, I'll have it cut off. I only mention it because I have trouble remembering what it's called.

Update
Maybe I should also mention that several years ago I was diagnosed with macrocytosis (大红细胞症 dà hóng xìbāo zhèng or 巨紅血球症 jù hóngxuèqiú zhèng). After various tests, the doctor concluded it was sensitivity to alcohol, so I haven't had a drink in several years. I secretly wonder whether it's caused by dehydration (which may be a consequence of my swimming). I've started drinking water while I swim (I don't mean the pool water--[Eeww!]); we'll see.

No comments: