Sunday, March 23

A spoiler about Tess.

Last night we saw Bride of Frankenstein. I'd seen a clip of the bride herself somewhere along the line, but I don't think I'd ever seen the whole thing, although having seen Young Frankenstein, I was somewhat confused as to what I'd seen in the original and what I saw in the parody. It was watchable, but dullard that I am, I'm afraid I missed all the "subversive subtext" that keener minds than mine find.

We also saw Life of Brian, which has aged well, although it's still not that funny, any more than it was when I first saw it, not long after it came out.

Then over a couple of days we saw Polanski's 3-hour Tess (1979), somewhat intruiging in light of what The Smoking Gun calls the "1977 crime that prompted his French exile." Which I found via Colby Cosh:
Q: How do you know the girl's too young? A: When she tells the jury you "performed cuddliness" on her.
The spoiler: at the end of Tess, the heroine murders the man who seduced her and is instrumental in causing her life of misery--although she's responsible, too. Anyway, the movie wasn't bad.

Update
Nolo Consentire argues that a girl this young wouldn't know the word cunnilingus, and that the episode smacks of witness coaching. More here.

Another update

Steve Gorman reports that Roman Polanski Wins Best Director Oscar
Many in the audience at the Kodak Theater rose to their feet in a standing ovation as his name was read by presenter Harrison Ford, while others remained seated, including Polanski's "Chinatown" star, Jack Nicholson. It was at Nicholson's home that Polanski later admitted to having sex with the underage girl after plying her with champagne and pills. An unsmiling Anjelica Huston, who was in another area of the house at the time, applauded.
I guess Gorman thought stone-faced was too strong.

No comments: