Saturday, May 8

We saw Deliverance (1972). I never saw it, but I still remember my high school classmates laughing about "Squeal like a pig". The movie was OK, but kind of fell apart towards the end. My mother taught high school English back then and used the novel in her class. Quite a shocker for some of her students, I imagine. We also saw The Lacemaker (La Dentellière; 1977). A little long (there seems to have been a run on bare-bones love stories in the 70's French movies), but the last take of the woman driven mad by a broken heart almost made it worth it.

I prefer Carrington (1995), about the artist Dora de Houghton Carrington (1893-1932), played by Emma Thompson, who looked much younger than she was, and her love affair with author Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), played by Jonathan Pryce, and directed by Christopher Hampton. Strachey was full of bon mots, many of which they used in the movie, and the irony of a homosexual man and a heterosexual woman not only being in love but also making it work. Much better than Total Eclipse (1995), which Hampton wrote to be directed by Agnieszka Holland. I just couldn't get over the churlishness of Rimbaud or Verlaine.

No comments: