Tuesday, February 8

Do You Care About the Future?

Bryan Caplan writes on a controversy about Hans-Hermann Hoppe,
"People with kids care more about the future than people without kids."

Who could take offense at this truism?
Well, me for one. I'm not sure what Herr Doktor Hoppe means by caring about the future, but the reason my wife and I support capitalism is that I think it's best for everyone; we also save as much as we can because we're worried about our own future. Meanwhile, another childless couple we know are leftist greenies...because they're worried about the future. (Mere anecdotal evidence, I know.)

Still, I don't think I'd bother to lodge a complaint about it. If I complained about things like that, I'd never have time for anything else.

1 comment:

pkd said...

After I wrote that, I started wondering if I was wrong. After all, even if those of us who are childless wish nothing but the best for humanity at large, very likely parents (assuming they love their children) have a much more personal stake in the future, since they hope their children will do well.