Tuesday, April 5

Good for Them

"Killer" freed after wife turns up alive
A Chinese man jailed and badly beaten for his wife's murder has been freed after she turned up not only alive but with another husband, domestic media have said, revealing a brutal arbitrariness to China's legal system.

She Xianglin's wife, Zhang Zaiyu, disappeared after a domestic dispute in 1994 and when a woman's body was found in a local reservoir, She was detained on suspicion of killing his wife, the China Daily said...

He said he did not remember making a confession, though the local court that ruled on his case was told he had.
And from the China Daily
"At first, I insisted I was not the murderer. But later I could not bear the endless interrogation and I said I did it," said She, who is now in hospital.
The China Daily has many interesting comments (56 at last count) bemoaning the injustice; I'm guessing they won't be around for long.

So far they have posted my trolling comment under the name Lui Fong ("This slanderous article hurts the feelings of the Chinese people and should be immediately deleted"), but almost everyone else is criticizing the error. Good for them. (See the screenshot below.)

No comments: