Sunday, April 3

Love It or Leave It

I can't understand why those who are dissatisfied with the Pope's pronouncements don't just leave and start their own religion. I thought the Pope was supposed to be infallible. For instance, A Papacy and Church Transformed By Hanna Rosin
For those who expected more from [Pope John Paul II's] modernization -- American priests ordained in the 1960s, say, Catholic women who wanted to be priests or Latin American leaders who wanted a partner in revolution -- the pope not only betrayed his promise but locked the church in place for years to come.

"I'm of the generation of priests who were euphoric about the idea that the church could change," said the Rev. Andrew Greeley, an author and columnist. "And while I recognize all his great talents, I think he pulled the plug on it, and that greatly dismays me."
"Pulled the plug"--that's an odd choice of words in the current context. Anyway, it seems to me if you're going to be a good Catholic, you've got to go along with the rules they make. I must be missing something.

No comments: