Thursday, December 5

I'm writing a paper that involves fatalism, which reminded me of Brahms' Schicksalslied, downloadable for free here and here. As far as I know, the title has nothing to do with shiksas, but is rather "Song of Destiny", but when I made a joke about it to my parents, they didn't think it was funny.

Update
I don't know if I should say I believe in fate, exactly, but I sometimes feel a presence grinning sardonically behind my back at all my best efforts. Incidentally, that's the closest I come to believing in any god. While a shitty god like that may exist, he's hardly worth a lot of mooning over. But I don't get too upset. By hedging my bets, I acknowledge that everything may well be doomed. By squarely confronting the possibility of failure, I discount fate's sniggering, and so he stands there disconcerted.

No comments: