Sunday, November 24

Last week I wanted to make a blueberry variation on these Cranberry Wreaths, but I stupidly looked at the wrong page of the dead tree cookbook the site is drawn from, and started making Hot Cross Buns. I decided to make those instead, but then discovered I was using sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk. I didn't like them much. Today I did bake my "blueberry wreaths". I used a lot more blueberries than the amount of cranberries called for, and ended up with lengths of dough too wide to easily form into wreaths, so I simply had twists. When they came out of the oven, I was surprised to see they turned out to be very similar to a kind of patisserie that a bakery in Paris sells under the name sacristan. Although the sacristans I've seen don't have blueberries, and are richer than the ones I made this morning.

Then I had some leftover evaporated milk, so I made these Crispy Peanut Butterscotch Fudge Squares. Pretty sweet even after I left out the sugar. My wife seems to like them more than I do.

And speaking of tapioca starch, I tried making some coffee cookies with instant coffee, 1/3 tapioca starch, 1/3 soy flour, and 1/3 white flour. Not so good.

Finally, we tried the Tortilla Pie and the Ziti Casserole I mentioned earlier. Frankly, I prefer Chinese food.

No comments: