Sunday, November 3

Today I made sourdough rye with a tablespoon of caraway seeds and just a teaspoon of fennel. Oddly, the fennel made the bread plesantly sweet. But although there was no overwhelming liquorice taste from the fennel, I couldn't taste the caraway as much as I'd like. And there wasn't much loft to the loaf; I used about half rye flour and half whole wheat, together with 3 tablespoons of gluten. I think last time when I used 4 tablespoons of gluten, it rose higher. I've also got to remember that if I want to have this kind of bread for lunch and I've left the dough in the refrigerator overnite, I've got to take it out by 6 am. Anyway, the rest of the loaf will be for this week's sandwiches.

Then this afternoon I made another quick bread: dates and figs. Let's see if I can manage not to sit on it this week.

update

The fig & date bread was OK. Not quite as sweet as the other "quick breads" I've been making. I haven't sit on it--yet.

No comments: