Sunday, January 12

Baguette update

I've got to modify this recipe; I've been doing things wrong: the chef took about 36 hours to fully rise after the 1st addition of flour and water. After the 2nd addition of flour and water it took about 12 hours. Maybe the times were so long because it had been frozen? Or because our house is now a fairly chilly 68� or so? Anyway, this made a difference: for the first time, the flavor of the baked baguette inside the crust was closer to the real thing. And there is no need for over-priced King Arthur flour. I used some old bread flour and that worked just fine. Now I've got to figure out how to make the crust properly crispy.

I suggested my wife use the same fermented/long rise dough to make baozi, which are steamed buns filled with minced pork, mushrooms, veg, bean threads etc. When she takes them out of the steamer, they sometimes collapse, and we can't figure out why. But this dough didn't work any better. Still, they were pretty good.

No comments: