Monday, January 13

Yesterday I baked some rye bread. Vaguely sourdough. I started off with 3/4 cup of raisins 1 cup milk and 1 cup rye flour--whoops, too dry, add some water. It fermented after a day or so, and I stirred it down and after another longish wait I saw tiny bubbles. I refrigerated it but decided I didn't want whole raisins in my bread when I made roast beef sandwiches, so I put it in the blender, which nearly choked. It's much thicker than I thought. Then I refrigerated it again. A few days later I took it out to let it bubble up, but it was too tired or something. I added a little yeast, some more rye as well as whole wheat, 1 tablespoon gluten, oil, salt, and water, kneaded it, and let it rise, shaped it and let it rise again. After 40 minutes of baking it looked done, but my quick read thermometer showed it wasn't 200 degree yet. It took a whole hour. Today's roast beef sandwich was OK, but not as good as it's been in the past.

No comments: