Monday, September 15

I couldn't swim my usual mile this morning and I probably won't be able to swim all week because I burnt my arm yesterday baking our weekly baguettes. I'm all bent out of shape about that.

I should be happy, because my baguettes are improving. The recipe is still basically this recipe, but I've discovered a couple of things. Not only is over-priced King Arthur flour not necessary; even bread flour isn't. All-purpose unbleached white flour has worked just fine the last few times. I let the dough ferment all week, which seems to add to the flavor a little. I've also finally noticed that the dough is supposed to "rest" after folding into a sausage shape & before lengthening. My trouble slashing the risen loaves just before putting them in the oven was apparently because I covered them with oiled plastic wrap. I've discovered a floured cloth works better. And now that I can slash them, the crust is just a little crisper, if still not as good as the real thing.

Also, I put in 3 Tablespoons of wheat bran and 3 Tablespoons of wheat germ to be just a little healthier; it doesn't seem to hurt the texture.

They're so good that the past couple of weeks on Sundays our lunch consists of nothing but a tomato and olive oil & balsamic vinegar & garlic salad and bread. The juice of the tomatoes mixes with the dressing, and we dip pieces of the bread in it. It's delicious. Once the fresh summer tomatoes are no longer available, we'll have to go back to bread & butter. Life is tough, but we live with it.

No comments: