Friday, October 22

...not that there's anything wrong with it.

Well, I'll have you know I baked baguettes last week, and they were just about the best I'd ever baked (even better than this?), probably because I used almost all unbleached white flour instead of mixed with whole wheat.
I started Sat. morning with a chef, a piece of fully risen dough retained from a previous bread;
I mixed it with 1/4 cup of room temp. water and 2/3 cup of ordinary unbleached white flour.
I left this "sponge" for 3-4 hours in the oven, which is at the lowest heat (100 degrees?).
After it had risen, I mixed in 2 tablespoons of room temp. water, and 1/3 cup of unbleached white flour, with 1 tablespoon of gluten in the measuring cup, then I put it back in the oven. (At this point my practice has been to let it rise for about 7-8 hours, but I forgot about it and it collapsed.)
I put it in the refrigerator (the cold reduces yeast activity, while the bacteria thrive, producing many more flavorful acids.)
The next day, I took it out around 6 am, poured in 2/3 cup room temp water (maybe that's just 2/3 of a cup), sprinkled 1/4 teaspoon of non-rapid-rise yeast on it, mixed it in the sponge, and about 1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour. (Usually I put in whole wheat, but I'd run out, so I added 1/4 cup bran flakes.)
I sprinkled about 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, let it rest for 10 minutes, then kneaded it, adding flour when it got too sticky.
Then I covered it and left it to rise for 1 1/2 hours. Next I folded it down on itself a few times, then let it rise for another 45 minutes.
I then shaped it by dividing it in 2, pressing each piece down till they were flat, folding down about 1/3 of the dough, pressing it into the middle of the dough with my fingertips, then folding everything down to the bottom and pressing everything together, then let them rest about 10 min.
Then I picked up the sausage shape by one end and gently squeezed it along its length (wow, getting pretty steamy, eh?) until it was about 12" long, and put it in the baguette mold, and covered it with a cloth, and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.
I preheated the oven to 450 degrees, which had unglazed quarry tiles on the rack. When the oven was ready, I slashed the baguettes, but the surface was too dry. (I don't bother to spray water on them anymore.)
A few minutes before I put them in, I pour boiling water into a pan that had been heating in the oven.
I baked them for 20 minutes, checking to see that the internal temp was 200 deg. (with my trusty instant-read thermometer).
Then I shut off the oven and leave them inside with the door open for about 1/2 hour.
The crust is crisp for another half hour, but then not so much. The texture seemed better after letting the dough collapse.

Is that effeminate enough for you?

No comments: