Saturday, November 13

All hail VideoLAN

So I put a DVD from Taiwan in my computer, and I get this message:
Your system is set to DVD region 1. To play this DVD, set your system to region 3.



So I prepare to reset the system, and get this message:
After Changes remaining reaches zero, you cannot change the region even if you reinstall Windows or move your DVD drive to a different compter.



Not so. There are some complicated workarounds, but then there is VideoLAN's free software:
All regions are supported without any constraint. It doesn't work 100% of the time and can take a long while before it starts the DVD.
Works for me.

Update

On another computer with Dell's PowerDVD, I put the Taiwan (region 3) DVD in the computer, and clicked on the only available option (region 3) and now I can only watch region 3 DVD's on this computer, unless I use VideoLAN.

No comments: