Wednesday, March 23

Cerebral Vascular Accident? It's a Stroke!

My father lives in Paris with my mother, who is in the early stages of dementia, but he insists that her impaired mental condition is from panic attacks or that her wandering is "sleep-walking". He won't listen to me or my sister about putting her in a nursing home, which is the equivalent of an insane asylum to him. I understand from other parties that he's recently lost her when he went out with her; he's never told me about that.

Then she had problems with language, that is, unable to read words or even think of many nouns, and she collapsed in the apartment where they live. That sounds like a stroke to me. Yesterday I received an email from him saying that the doctors had diagnosed her as having had what he called a "vascular cerebral attack" (VCA), which is his translation from the French. He claims that a VCA is one level below a transient ischemic attack (TIA), which my mother had had before. And he says the doctors told him that her VCA had "screwed up the cortex of the brain in such a way that it provoked an epileptic response".

The closest thing I can find to a "vascular cerebral attack" is a cerebral vascular accident (CVA), commonly referred to as a stroke. Moreover, stokes can cause seizures and epileptic seizures are a sign of strokes.

No comments: