Saturday, December 21

Ted Anthony writes on China's celebration of secular Christmas. For the record, I think it's dumb, but that's not going to stop anybody. Actually, I agree to a certain extent with the billboard message that so infuriates Lileks: "Gluttony. Envy. Insincerity. Greed. Enjoy Your Christmas." Well, mostly the Greed part. I remember a few years ago our campus paper solicited letters to Santa from the tots, and every one was "I want [some kind of toy]." Of course, it would be really creepy if they all said things like, "I want wurld peace." or "I want Nader for president." But still, I found it a little unnerving. Even though I don't believe in the religious stuff, and for me personally, Lileks to the contrary, there has never been any "spiritual dimension" to the day, I never fail to be astonished at how materialistic the supposedly religous Americans are. But hey, if it rocks your boat, great. So OK, I'll give everyone a pass on their Christmas. But I'll pretty much give a pass to those who inveigh against it, too, even when they complain that kids are taught to worship this white, heterosexual man who overeats. (What's this? Prejudice against the "plus-size"?) It looks like Lileks is sticking by his Christian indoctrination, while this couple is sticking by their politically correct indoctrination. Geez, folks, can't we all just get along?

No comments: