Tuesday, December 17

Yesterday I had my Black Bean Hummus & Carrot Slaw on a whole wheat pita that I baked in the morning (baking only takes a couple of minutes; but it's a quarter of an hour for the oven to warm up). Not as good as it was last time I ate it. I'll try it with some extra oil.

Update
Mmmm. For lunch, I just had my pita (baked this morning) and chick pea hummus.
Chick pea hummus
2 cups cooked chick peas, mashed with a potato masher. Takes awhile, but I believe the skins are good for you, unlike RecipeSource
Add a little of the liquid (did you use canned chick peas? Well, I guess that's OK).
1 clove garlic, minced, or put through a press.
2 tablespoons Tahini (I've had a jar of this for years; it seems to keep pretty well).
Juice of 1/2 lemon.
Salt to taste.
Hot sauce to taste (I used about a tablespoon of some Chinese stuff).
That's the way I used to do it. This time, I figured sandwich fillings tend to be pretty heavily flavored, so I added 2 tablespoons olive oil. Deelicious.

I've got to disagree with Lileks about pizza. He dismisses pizza without meaty toppings as CheezeyBred. I don't see it. Not that I have anything against meat (some of my best friends are meat!). But it's just gilding the lily: the sauce and the cheese on, yes, the bread, are plenty nice.

No comments: