Saturday, July 19

This week and last we've seen A Man of No Importance and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, both from 1994, and both about "the love that dare not speak its name," although in the case of the latter, they fairly scream the name. Our univ. library certainly loves the gay movies. Looking over the reviews on MRQE.com, I see most of the reviewers agree with me. The movies are OK, but not wonderful. Certainly a lot more watchable than a lot of art films. A couple of embarrassing things about Priscilla: I finally recognized Hugo Weaving after half an hour (we've seen both Matrices, but none of the Lords of the Rings. So sue me.) But only after checking the internet did I realize we'd seen Guy Pearce in both Memento (2000) and L.A. Confidential (1997; didn't he look a little gay in the latter?). Both of which we liked, so you'd think we'd remember. And I'd seen Terence Stamp in Modesty Blaise (1966) and Histoires extraordinaires (1968; the "Toby Dammit" segment I remember liking, although Fellini is generally beyond me) when they first came out. How old am I, eh? (Note to self: see if I can find The Limey, which sounded sort of interesting.) And finally, Guy Pearce/Adam on the top of the Priscilla bus. Didn't Titanic steal that scene? Or maybe it's a natural idea for these arty types. Michael Gambon, from A Man of No Importance looked familiar; we'd seen him in Nicholas Renton's Wives and Daughters 1999 miniseries. It was good.

No comments: