Sunday, July 6

We saw Maedchen in Uniform (1931), which apparently means "Girls in Uniform". Not bad. I take exception to the insistence that this is necessarily a lesbian film; I see it as more anti-authoritarian, although the play it was based on (and the original incident) was certainly lesbian. However, the emphasis in the movie is not so lesbian. In a clash with the headmistress, the teacher the students have crushes on says, "What you call sin, I call the great spirit of love, which takes a thousand forms". Hertha Thiele, the charming actress who plays the protagonist, says of that line here,
I think that says it all. What it says is that it can be the beginning of lesbian love, it can also be the love of children, but in any case it's love. I think the sentence either makes or breaks the film. However, I really don't want to make a great deal of... or account for a film about lesbianism here. That's far from my mind, because the whole thing of course is also a revolt against the cruel Prussian education system.
While some commentators give Leontine Sagan credit for the movie, Thiele also says that Carl Froelich's technical role (he's credited with "artistic supervision" in many versions) was extremely important, and that she had trouble working with Leontine Sagan, who:
really didn't have the approach I needed - Sagan could have reduced me to tears really quickly. She had a callous attitude towards people, and at that time I couldn't cope with that at all....a great actress, a very intelligent, very competent woman....she didn't understand anything at all about film....It was really Carl Froelich, Walter Supper, Franz Weihmayr and Masolle, who did the sound, who brought about the film.

No comments: